Seniors don’t always get the credit they deserve for being tech-savvy. However, popular podcasts for seniors are a great source of news and entertainment. Don’t miss out! Read on to learn what a podcast is, how you can listen to them, and what podcasts seniors most enjoy.
Popular Podcasts for Seniors
What Is a Podcast?
A podcast is similar to a talk radio show or other radio program. It usually features one or more hosts discussing a topic in depth to educate and entertain their listeners. Unlike shows that are broadcast over the radio, podcasts are uploaded to the internet, where listeners can stream them or download them to listen to later. There are over 850,000 podcasts active today that cover a wide variety of subjects, including history, art, and popular culture. Some of them are focused on music, but most podcasts are discussion and learning-based. In fact, three out of four people who listen to podcasts say they listen to learn about new things!
How Can I Listen to Them?
You may be worried you don’t have the technological skills to listen to podcasts. In reality, it’s now easier than ever! All you need is a phone or computer with internet access. If you have an app you use to listen to music, you can find them easily in the search bar on iTunes and Spotify. You can also use an app that is specifically for podcasts, like Stitcher. In addition, many podcasts have their own webpages where episodes are available to click and listen. We’ve linked some webpages below to help you get started!
What Are Some Popular Podcasts for Seniors?
There are lots of podcasts out there that have seniors in mind. The following are a few of our favorites:
- The Grand Life: Grandparenting our Grands is a podcast about being a grandparent and what relationships are like between different generations in one family. It’s a fun, heartfelt exploration of modern grandparenting.
- Genealogy Gems is an engaging, easy-to-understand podcast about researching your family tree. A great tool for any senior who is looking to learn more about their family!
- The Living to 100 Club has a simple mission: make it to the age of 100 with style, fun, and a great quality of life. These upbeat hosts will help you think differently about aging and getting the most out of life as a senior!
- Mature Peneurs proves it’s never too late to chase your dreams. This podcast focuses on senior entrepreneurs, and features interviews with them about their lives and businesses.
- Lux Radio Theater is one of the most popular podcasts for seniors today. It covers twenty years of classic NBC radio dramas, re-shared as podcasts for today’s listeners. Relive the classic era of radio!
What Other Podcasts Might I Enjoy?
Of course, there are also lots of general interest podcasts you might enjoy. You might be interested in some of these popular pods:
- You Must Remember This is a podcast about the hidden history of Hollywood. Tune in as host Karina Longworth discusses the facts you might not know about Universal’s horror movie monsters, the career of Joan Crawford, Disney movies, and more!
- You’re Wrong About is a podcast that explains what we get wrong about historical events, in addition to telling us the real story. Tune in to learn the truth about historical figures like Marie Antoinette and Princess Diana, and events like the OJ Simpson trial.
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is a podcast that brings history to life in a detailed and enjoyable way. Listen along as Dan goes deep into eras of ancient and modern history. His engaging hosting style will have you on the edge of your seat.
- StoryCorps is an NPR podcast where everyday Americans tell the stories of their lives. Tune in to hear touching stories about friendship and family, and learn how simply telling stories brings people together.
Those are just a few of the tens of thousands of podcasts waiting for you. If you’re looking for a new hobby, listening to podcasts will keep you having fun at home and also learning about the world. Maybe you’ll even start one of your own!
Are you looking for a place to spend your golden years? Consider The Shores of Lake Phalen in Maplewood, Minnesota. Nestled into a gorgeous wooded setting between two lakes, this senior living community offers apartment-style housing together with a resort atmosphere. If you want to learn more about our thriving community and the many amenities our residents enjoy, contact us today and schedule a free tour. We look forward to hearing from you!