Summer is here, and that means it’s time to party. Do you need a conversation starter for your next barbecue? Nothing gets people talking like a fun fact or two. Let this summer trivia for seniors break the ice at your next summer gathering.
Summer Trivia for Seniors
There’s nothing quite like the summertime. From visiting the natural beauty of Niagara Cave to enjoying a shopping spree in the air conditioning at the Mall of America, there’s plenty to keep you busy all summer long in Minnesota. If the summer is one of your favorite times of the year, enjoy learning more about it with this summer trivia for seniors.
The Summer Sky
- If you will be out in the sun, knowing what “SPF” means is essential. SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor, and the higher that number is, the more protection your skin has from the damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- While the weather starts to warm up in June, it’s not officially summer until the summer solstice occurs. The solstice marks the longest day and shortest night of the year, typically occurring on June 20th or 21st.
- Do you know anyone with a summer birthday to celebrate? If you do, you can also guess their star sign. Cancer, Leo, and Virgo are the zodiac signs that celebrate birthdays throughout the summer months.
Summer Holidays and Events
- Do you love fireworks on the Fourth of July? If so, take a moment to thank the alchemists in ancient China. Legend has it that their invention of gunpowder led to the creation of fireworks, which were then used to mark celebratory occasions.
- Ice cream is a beloved summer treat, so it makes sense that we observe National Ice Cream Month in July. Grab an extra scoop or two to celebrate!
- Ice cream isn’t the only thing that keeps America busy in July. The second week of July is the most popular week for travel in the United States.
Summer Food and Treats
- Nothing tops a cool treat when you’re trying to beat the heat. No wonder over two billion popsicles are sold annually in the United States every summer!
- Did you know you can do more than drink water to stay hydrated? Fruits and vegetables also have a high percentage of water, and eating them can help too. Watermelons are over 90 percent water!
- Everyone loves a good summer barbeque. If you’re planning one, don’t forget the hot dogs. They’re the most popular barbequed meat option in the United States.
A Day at the Beach
- Believe it or not, Canada has the most coastline of any country globally. However, because Canada stays relatively chilly in the summer, you might want to think twice before booking that beach trip!
- Building sandcastles is a fun way to spend time at the beach, but it’s serious business for some people. The current Guinness Book of World Records record-holder for the tallest sandcastle stands at 45 feet and 9 inches.
- Florida has beautiful beaches, but it also has the highest temperatures in the United States every summer. If that doesn’t sound appealing, you can always beat the heat in cooler states like Minnesota.
We hope this summer trivia for seniors provides a great conversation starter for you at a picnic or holiday celebration. No matter how you enjoy the summer, we hope it’s a great one for you!
The Shores of Lake Phalen is an assisted living community in a quiet, peaceful environment in Maplewood, Minnesota. We offer numerous health and safety amenities, fun events and activities, a friendly and accommodating staff, and much more. Schedule a tour of the community to explore our spacious apartments, elegant dining room, and more. We look forward to hearing from you!