Minnesota is known as the “Land of 10,000 Lakes,” so what makes Lake Phalen so special? Our neighborhood boasts a reasonable cost of living, tons of terrific amenities, and many other things that any senior would love to find in their new neighborhood. Let us tell you why we love to call it home.
Welcome to Lake Phalen!
Believe it or not, “Land of 10,000 Lakes” is not hyperbolic. Minnesota actually boasts over 11,000 lakes for residents and tourists to explore. Lake Phalen is one such lake, and it’s also the neighborhood we call home. What do newcomers need to know about Lake Phalen?
Visiting Lake Phalen (The Lake)
If you’d like to visit the lake that gave our community its name, you can find it on the east side of St. Paul. Lake Phalen is one of several regional lakes located close to urban areas in Minnesota, giving residents ample opportunity to enjoy the natural lakeside scenery and amenities the state is known for. Lake Phalen also offers plenty for visitors and residents of the city to enjoy:
- Phalen Regional Park is the largest park on the lake. It’s a popular destination for beachgoers and nature fans, but it has plenty to offer any visitor. You can play golf at the Phalen golf course, spend a quiet afternoon with the greenery at the Phalen China Garden, or even check out some sailing lessons!
- If you’re a senior angler, you’ll be happy to know that Lake Phalen is known for excellent and accessible fishing opportunities. Lake Phalen has a variety of big game fish that you can pursue, as well as waterways that will allow you to travel to other lakes via canoe or small craft. It also offers handicapped parking, an accessible pier, and restrooms for your convenience.
- For those seeking a more urban experience, Lake Phalen is also known for its bustling business district. The Payne-Phalen neighborhood has unique destination businesses, incredible restaurants, and tons of old-world charm that any visitor will enjoy.
Visiting Lake Phalen (The Neighborhood)
Lake Phalen is a great place to spend a day or two. However, if you’re planning on staying here for a while, you might be curious about what it’s like to live nearby. Don’t worry. There’s plenty to love about living in the Lake Phalen area too:
- You might not think of Minnesota as a premiere retirement destination, but think again. The low cost of living and excellent health system access make Minnesota one of the most popular places to retire in the United States! And as a side bonus, it means there’s already a community of active seniors waiting for you.
- The Shores of Lake Phalen is located in a neighborhood called Maplewood. Maplewood is known as a quiet but lively suburb of St. Paul. It has plenty of local parks and other points of interest to explore, and it’s also just minutes from downtown St. Paul and the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. It’s a great place to live if you want to enjoy the perks of big-city life at a slower, easier pace.
- If you’re a senior who wants to make the most of your time in Minnesota, an assisted living community like the Shores of Lake Phalen can help. Assisted living makes life easier for seniors by providing a welcoming community to join and all the support you need to make your new city home.
There may be 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, but there’s only one Lake Phalen. Visit and see why we’re proud to call it home!
Are you looking for an assisted living community to call home? The Shores of Lake Phalen is an assisted living community in a quiet, peaceful environment in Maplewood, Minnesota. We offer numerous health and safety amenities, fun events and activities, a friendly and accommodating staff, and much more. Schedule a tour of the community to explore our spacious apartments, elegant dining rooms, and more. We look forward to hearing from you!